Blueberry Vanilla Buns
9 out of 10 points. Delicious and fragrant buns with a crispy sugar crust and juicy berry filling.
Preparation 1 h. Preparation 45 min.
- 150 g frozen blueberries
- simple sugar syrup for brushing (1 part sugar and 1 part water - bring to a boil, use warm)
- For the vanilla filling:
- 80 g butter at room temperature
- 1 tbsp wheat flour
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar or extract, or seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 100 g caster sugar
For the test:
- 25 g fresh yeast or 13 g active dry yeast
- 250 ml whole milk, warm up to 36-37 degrees
- 40 g caster sugar
- 80 g butter, melt and cool
- 400-500 g of durum wheat flour
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg, shake
- Prepare the dough. If using fresh yeast, mix it with warm milk in the bowl of a stand mixer and wait until it dissolves. If using dry yeast, pour warm milk into a bowl, then add yeast and stir, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for about 15 minutes, until foam appears, then pour this mixture into the bowl of a stationary mixer.
- In a mixer with a hook attachment, mix the milk, yeast and sugar, then add the melted butter and continue to knead on medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Pour 400 g flour into a bowl and mix with cardamom and salt. Start adding the flour with spices to the milk mixture gradually, stirring constantly. When the mixture is smooth, add half of the beaten egg (the rest will be used for brushing) and continue to knead for 5 minutes. You may need more flour - the finished dough should stick slightly if you press on it with your finger. Try not to add too much flour or the buns will dry out.
- Cover the finished dough in a bowl with cling film and leave it warm for proofing for 30-40 minutes (or until the volume doubles).
- Grease two baking sheets with oil and line with parchment. Place the spaced dough on a lightly floured surface and knead, adding more flour if necessary. Roll out the dough into a 40x50 cm rectangle.
- Mix all the ingredients for the vanilla filling and spread evenly over the dough. Sprinkle a third frozen blueberry on top.
- Gently wrap a third of the dough up and then wrap the rest of the dough up, so that you have a rectangle of three layers about 45-50 cm long and 12-15 cm wide. Using a pizza knife or a regular knife, cut the dough into about 16 strips. Powder your hands with flour and grab one end of the strip, then gently turn the free end of the dough, then roll it up in a knot, making sure that the free end is tucked down. Place on prepared baking sheets and repeat with remaining strips. Press the remaining blueberries into the blanks from above.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Leave the pieces for proofing in a warm place for 20 minutes under a clean kitchen towel, then brush with the remaining egg from the preparation of the dough.
- Bake in the oven for 7-9 minutes until golden brown. Lightly grease the buns with sugar syrup before serving.